Found these pics in my drafts,so decided to post this recipe here today.
The reason why I love to make bread is that nice aroma of fresh baked bread which fills the home
also because bread is one of the most preferred food in my family.
Make any filling as you like, a mint chutney would be good too if you don’t prefer making Pesto.
All purpose Flour – 2 and 1/2 cup (May substitute less than half with whole wheat flour)
Active Dry Yeast – 2 and 1/2 tsp
Warm Water – 1 cup to 1 and 1/2 cup
Sugar – 1/4 cup
Olive oil or Vegetable Oil- 1 to 2 Tbsp
Parmesan cheese Powder – For sprinkling after baking (Optional – I didn’t use)
For Mint Basil Pesto
Mint leaves – 1/2 cup
Basil – 1/2 cup
Garlic – 2 cloves
Olive Oil – 2 to 4 Tbsp
Almonds or Pine-nuts – hand full (more or less)
Salt and Pepper Powder to taste
Prepare dough for the Bread
* Dissolve sugar and yeast in warm water (Shouldn’t be hot) , add yeast and allow yeast to rise and get active. (Takes about 5 to 7 Minutes if everything is well)
* Slowly Pour water (with activated yeast) to the flour, add salt and mix using your hands or using a stand mixer with fitted dough attachment, Until the dough comes together to a ball.
* Coat the dough ball with some Olive oil or Vegetable Oil , Cover the bowl with a towel / paper towel or plastic wrap, and keep in a warm place to rise at least for an hour or until the dough doubles in size.
(During winter, its better to keep the dough to rise in a preheated to warm Oven switch off the temperature before keeping the bowl in the oven to rise, check the oven wrack- if too hot , let it cool before you place the dough to rise)
Meanwhile prepare the pesto.
* Grind all ingredients given under Mint Basil Pesto – above to a smooth paste. Keep aside.
* Roll and spread the dough (sprinkle the surface with flour before working with the dough),
I rolled it to 1/4 to half and inch thickness (roughly)
* Spread the pesto over and tightly roll up the dough.
For the Loaf – Cut the rolled dough in to 1 inch size circular pieces , arrange these pieces in to a loaf tightly. Allow to rise for another 30 Minutes.
You can braid it or make it to any shapes as you wish (Simply cut the rolled dough in to 1 inch size pieces and arrange these flat in to any round baking tray, to get a cinnamon bread like shape)
*Sprinkle Parmesan cheese (If using) over the top before baking.
* Preheat the Oven to 350 Degree F and Bake for 40 minutes, Cover the bread with a foil loosely when the bread is half done/baked (after 30 minutes).This keeps it from burning the top part.
Store in air tight containers.
Enjoy the goodness of fresh baked soft bread at home 🙂