Holiday spirit in the air , breezing that wonderful feeling of holidays – the feeling of December.
when ever I see those decorated houses, I am reminded of a “Bride in India” with all her ornaments and that sparkling look.
no matter what.
One more funny thing that I notice during December is the appearance of ” Santa- Like People ” every where. I mean people who look like Santa. I feel like I see everywhere that Merry Old Man , with long white Beard. May be because I too am waiting for my Gifts from Santa this Christmas 😉
Have a special Cookie recipe for this Christmas, though not a new idea.
These cookies looks gorgeous when hung on your Christmas tree also taste yummy.
Am sure Kids would love it as its so much fun when they can eat something which is hung on the Christmas tree. Wish I was a kid too 😦
Do give it a try this Christmas.
Recipe for the Cookie Dough adapted from Land O Lakes.com – Butter Cookies
All Purpose Flour – 2 and 1/2 cup
Butter – 1 cup
Sugar – 1 cup
Egg – 1 no
Vanilla essence – 2 tsp
Orange Juice – 2 Tbsp (Approx)
Baking Powder – 3/4 tsp
For the Glass – 10 to 20 Hard Candies (Any flavor and Color, I used Butter Scotch Candies)
Method – for the dough.
* Preheat the Oven to 360 Degree F , Grease parchment paper with some Butter and place the paper to a cookie baking tray or any flat tray.
* Sift Flour and Baking powder , Keep aside.
* Combine Butter, sugar and egg , beat in medium speed till well mixed, add orange juice and Vanilla essence to it and beat again to combine well.
* Add the sifted flour to the above mixture , beet for 2 minutes, then with your hand work to combine the dough to a ball (if the dough looks dry add few tsp of orange juice to it)
* Wrap this dough in any plastic sheet and Refrigerate for 10 to 15 minutes.(May keep these in the fridge for up to 2 days)
Shaping the Dough
* Place the candies in a bag , and use any hard tool or rolling pin to crush the candies and powder’em.
* Roll out the dough using a rolling pin (may sprinkle some powdered sugar on the pin and on the surface) roll’em thin , about 1/4 inch thickness approx.
* Using cookie cutter , shape cookies, I used 2 star/tree shaped (one bigger and one smaller) to create some space in between to fill each space with the powdered candies. Also if planning to hang them use a straw to make a small hole on top of the cookies.
* Bake these in 360 Degree F for 5 to 12 minutes depending on the size of the cookies.Bake until the sides turn brown. Take these out of the oven, wait for 5 to 10 minutes for the cookies to cool down a bit and to set before you pick’em from the tray.
* May hang these on your Christmas tree or else store in Air tight containers, then these last long.
Or pack these and gift’em to your friends for Christmas.
: Make sure the powdered candies are just in the space as if spread outside it tends to stick and it may make the cookies also stick to the bottom. Also after baking , do not remove the cookies from the baking tray before its cooled, as the candies need sometime (5 to 10 Minutes) to set.
: This is a basic recipe to make butter cookies.Decorate these with any cookies writers (Icing) instead of the glass effect (Omit the candies then) they look equally good 🙂
Merry Christmas 🙂