Thought of posting some Vegas pictures here where we had been for Vacation last week.
Soccer Man seems unhappy , I advised him about the importance of endurance 😉
Mushrooms being my favorites, tried it in this rich, creamy, flavorful gravy and I liked it,
would have loved it if I had added Mutter/ Peas too 😦
Well most of the times we have to listen to others who share the meal with us , otherwise the curry will not get over 😉
Mushroom’s – 2 cups cleaned and halved (I used Button Mushrooms)
Tomatoes – 2 Large
Garlic – 1 finely chopped
Ginger – 1/2 Inch sized Piece finely chopped
Onion – 1 finely chopped
Butter – 2 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp for shallow frying Mushroom’s or else may use 1 tbsp Vegetable oil.
Fresh Cream – 1 to 2 Tbsp
Cashew Nuts – 1/4 cup soaked and ground to fine paste. or else powder it first then add little water.
Salt to taste
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Kashmiri Chili Powder – 2 tsp
Coriander Powder – 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala – 1/2 tsp
Cumin Powder – 1/4 tsp
Kasuri Methi / Dry Fenugreek Leaves – 2 Tsp
Bay Leaf – 1
Cinnamon Stick – 1 small piece
Cardamom/Ellachi – 2 No’s
* Slit the skin of tomatoes lightly with a sharp knife and boil it for 5 to 7 minutes until the skin starts to loosen, once done drain , remove the skin from the tomatoes and grind to make puree. Keep aside.
* Heat 1 tbsp Butter/vegetable Oil in a pan, lightly saute mushroom’s in it,do not add more oil here as mushrooms absorbs all of it,keep the shallow fried mushroom’s aside.
I cooked it for just 3 minutes, if you want it well done, stir and allow the water in it to get dried,
it shrinks though.
* In the same pan, heat butter and add the whole spices (Bay leaf, cinnamon & Cardamom) followed by ginger , garlic and finely chopped onion.Saute these in medium heat till the onions look golden brown.Add the tomato puree, cover the pan and cook till the puree/water reduces and thickens up a bit.(Stir in between and keep the lid as it tends to splatter.
* Add then the Masala powders(Turmeric Powder, Coriander Powder, Cumin Powder and Garam Masala) stir and add little water (1/2 cup) then the shallow fried mushrooms, when it starts to boil add Cashew paste.
* When the gravy thickens a bit , add Kasuri Methi – stir and add the fresh cream, switch off the heat.
* Drizzle fresh cream over or else place a cube of butter when you serve it hot.
Nutritional benefits of Mushroom’s are vast, including its ability to reduce the risk of Cancer.
To enjoy its nutritional benefits, shouldn’t wash them for more time in water as the C & B Vitamins in it gets washed away too, also slicing and exposing’em to air for more time is not advised.
Just a splash and cleaning it with a damp towel is enough if the mushrooms are fresh.
Slice’em just before you are all set to cook.