Bread when fried tastes just awesome , though I know its not a good idea,
as bread does absorb lot of oil, no-mater what all we do to lessen the oil content in it like – Dipping’em in water first then frying, wrapping fried bread’s with paper towel to absorb excess oil , flour coating the bread before frying (Which I love the most) – these must be named snacks for kids or else once in 2 months snacks for Adults.
It is disappointing but its better if we try alternatives with Bread other than frying, and we can enjoy it guilt free 🙂
what do you think ??
This recipe came out just perfect for me as a Bread based – less oil snack, am sure you’ll love it too
Any Bread – few pieces (I had some sandwich bread so used’em)
Oil – few drops for each pieces (For toasting)
Potatoes – 2 medium (Boiled and mashed lightly)
Grated Carrots – 1 Medium Sized Carrot Grated
(Use vegetables of your choice, may add Peas, Beets etc)
Cilantro/Coriander Leaves – few springs (Finely chopped)
Onion – 1 small (Finely chopped)
Red chili Powder/Paprika – 1/2 tsp (or more , as per your taste)
Chat Masala – 1/2 tsp (Else use any Masala powder you like)
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil – 1 Tbsp
For Chutney (Optional)
Cilantro – 1/2 cup chopped
Mint Leaves – 2 Tb Sp Chopped
Coconut – 3 Tbsp grated
Green chili’s – 2 No’s (or more as per your preference)
Salt to taste
* Make chutney – Grind all ingredients given under chutney with just enough water to grind it till smooth (Do not add more water as then it will be difficult to spread’em on the bread pieces)
* Make Filling – Heat Oil in a pan , add cumin seeds and let them sizzle, Add then onion and grated Carrot, saute till nicely done, add mashed potatoes and the powders (Masala powder and Red chili Powder) stir to combine, add salt and cilantro – a final mix and the filling is done. Keep aside.
* Using a rolling pin , roll each bread slices lightly to stretch’em.
* Spread the chutney over the bread, then spread some Masala filling ( 1 to 2 Tbsp)
* Roll these tightly. May toast them as it is or else cut in to pieces (using sharp knife) to get bite size pieces.
* Heat a flat pan (I used Dosa Pan) sprinkle few drops of oil and toast these bread pieces, till all sides are nice and lightly crisp.
* Serve with Tea or Coffee.
Enjoy a filling and Nutritious Snacks !