First time making beetroot curry, I have written about my dislike to Beets in some of my previous posts, still planted some in my vegetable garden this year and today I harvested first batch of beetroots…..Happy Happy 🙂
Wanted to make it fresh..hence did some experiments with it.
Came out good for me as this is the first time that am enjoying a dish with beets in it,
but for Soccer man “It was just a curry” 😦
Beetroots – 3 medium cubed
Potato – 1 medium cubed
Tomatoes – 2 medium finely chopped
Cumin Powder – 1/4 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Green Peas – 1/4 cup (Optional)
Garlic – 3 no’s crushed
Ginger – a small piece finely chopped
Onion – 1 medium chopped
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/4 tsp
Chili Powder – 2 tsp(Adjust as per your preference)
Garam Masala – 1/2 tsp
Dry Red chili’s – 2 nos crushed (Optional)
Curd (Thick) – 1 cup lightly beaten
Vegetable Oil – 2 Tbs
Salt to taste.
* Pressure cook beetroot pieces along with potato, tomatoes , turmeric Powder, Cumin Powder and 1/2 cup water. Cook till 1 whistle heard and switch off the heat , once the pressure leaves , add green peas to this and boil again in medium to low heat for another 5 minutes.
(May cook in open vessel until nicely done – do check water in between).
* In an other pan heat oil , pop mustard seeds, then add cumin seeds and dry red chili’s (If using) , saute finely chopped ginger , garlic and sliced onion , till onion looks golden brown.
* Add Garam Masala and Red chili powder, stir well and add in the cooked vegetable’s (Beetroots , potato mix ) allow it to boil and reduce a bit if there’s more water in it.
* After 5 to 7 minutes, switch off the heat allow the curry to cool down a bit (2 to 3 minutes ) stir first and then add lightly beaten curd. Stir again and its done.
* Serve with any Roti /Indian Bread.