This is the first time that I have taken a break for more than 2 weeks from my blog,
we went for a short trip which was planned for just 4 days but got extended for a week and so myself and Nadia enjoyed our unexpected Looooooooong holidays in California 🙂
Stayed with our cousins in LA and San Francisco, one of them have 3 kids and my NA had fun time there. Watching the kids play and converse was the best part, friendship without considering common interests, light quarrels and the quick reconciliation was fun to watch.
Beaches in LA , San Francisco Zoo and the Golden Bridge was attractive.More than anything I cherish the time I spent with all lovely people there, close – knit family and the happy moments they shared makes me wanting to visit them again 🙂
Just getting back to the normal schedules, my house was like as if hit by some-sort of cataclysm, but
I wanted to make something special after a break from cooking.
For Vegetable cutlets, there is no set vegetable’s to be included, other than the potatoes , which helps it to bind together and stay intact while frying, may bake it too.
Do let me know if it comes out well as I haven’t tried baking any cutlets.
Potatoes – 4 Medium sized boiled and mashed.
Vegetables of your choice I used
Carrots – 2 Small no’s grated
Beets – 1 Medium grated
Green Peas – 1/2 cup
Spinach – 1 bunch chopped
Cilantro – 1/2 a cup chopped
Onion – 1 finely chopped
Garlic – 3 cloves chopped
Ginger – 1 tsp chopped
Cumin seeds (Jeera) – 1/2 tsp
Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp (Optional)
Amchur Powder /Dried Mango Powder – 1 tsp (Optional)
Green chili’s or Red chili Powder or Paprika – I used Chili Powder 1 tsp (adjust as per your preference)
Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 2 Tb Sp
Oil for frying
Salt to taste
Egg and Bread crumbs to coat the cutlets before frying , may use buttermilk instead of egg too.
* Heat 2 Tb Sp oil in a pan, add cumin seeds , followed by chopped ginger , garlic ,onion and the grated vegetable’s (Carrots and the beets) Cook stirring occasionally for 7 minutes in medium heat. Add green peas and cook for another 2- 4 minutes.
* Add all the spices -Turmeric Powder and Amchur Powder (If using) , chili powder or green chili’s, Garam masala powder and stir to combine. Then add the mashed potatoes, and the leaves (Spinach and Cilantro/Coriander leaves)
* Add salt and Combine everything well, switch off the heat, keep aside to cool. Once cooled shape it as you like, I made small oval shapes, it better to keep these thick as otherwise it tends to split. If the mixture looks loose add bread crumbs to make it thick enough to shape it.
* Dip these first in lightly beaten eggs then coat each of’em in bread crumbs. (May use Butter milk instead of eggs here but then do it just before frying it) If using eggs to coat these , may store it in air tight containers, ready to be fried. Stays up to a week in the refrigerator.
* Heat oil in a frying pan , may deep fry it or else shallow fry these as I did, Oil should be very hot, flip to the other side after 3 minutes , fry till the cutlets are brown.
* Serve with Ketchup or Salas (Onion salad with Vinegar)
Enjoy hot fried snack packed with all healthy ingredients.Store extras in the refrigerator.
Super excited to hear that there are people who follow this blog 🙂
Thanks for all the support and inspiration.