Since the World is talking Soccer….I am reminded of the excitement we used to have some 15 years ago, even my Granny used to sit with us to see the World-cup Soccer or Cricket matches – clap, shout and whistle….altogether a festive mood even in the streets with small gatherings in front of most store’s where they’ll have the TV placed outside which streams the match…
Now majority of our homes back in my place would have a Television and Sports channel’s too
“Snacks” are necessary thing needed while enjoying a match , hence concentrating on experimenting snack recipes this month….I made Aloo Matar Ki Kachori here/ Kachori with Potatoes and Peas.
Khasta Kachori is what they call it in North India , this is a flaky fried snack, this can be filled with ingredients of your choices , usually its filled with mashed dal/lentil’s – mung bean’s or Peas, Pyaaj/Onion Kachori is a snack popular in Rajasthan.
I made it with wheat flour instead of Plain flour as always to lessen the guilt after having any fried snack , the texture do vary very much when wheat flour is used and the crispness will not be the same too
For the Dough
All purpose flour – 2 cups (I used Wheat Flour)
Ghee / Clarified Butter – 1/4 cup (I used vegetable oil)
Salt to taste
For the filling
Potatoes – 1 medium size boiled and mashed
Cooked Peas – 1 cup cooked
Green Chili’s – 3 no’s (adjust as per your preference)
Ginger – 1 tsp finely chopped
Kala Jeera / Kalaunji – 1/2 tsp (I used cumin seeds)
Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
Jeera Powder / Cumin Powder – 1/2 tsp
Amchur / Dry Mango Powder – 1/4 tsp
Sauf/ Fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp crushed
Salt to taste
Oil – 1 Tb Sp for the filling + For frying
* Mix flour , salt , ghee or oil ,pour water little at a time to make a firm dough , knead the dough well , may coat this dough with little oil or ghee and cover with a wet cloth, Keep aside.
* Heat 1 Tb Sp Oil in a pan, add Sauf / fennel seeds and Kala Jeera or else cumin seeds , then add the finely chopped ginger and green chili’s for a minute , add then the powder’s (Jeera / Cumin Powder + Coriander Powder + Amchur / Dry Mango Powder)
* Add mashed potatoes and cooked peas , add salt and lightly mash it again, stir to combine and switch off the heat. Let it cool a bit.
* Make lemon sized ball’s with the dough, roll each ball’s to make it 2 to 3 inch diameter (Approx) Place about 1 Tb Sp of the potato-Peas Filling in the center of the rolled dough.
* Bring the ends together to seal it.
* Press these stuffed ball’s with your palm and flatten it. Make the rest of the kachori ready like this and heat oil in a deep pan to fry the kachori’s.
* Deep fry these in low to medium heat until both sides looks golden brown , transfer to a paper towel.
* Kachori tends to puff up a bit while frying and gets crisp outside.
Serve with Green Chutney / Curd.
Congratz Germany , we totally enjoyed Muller’s Hat-trick 🙂
The game was worth watching….