I always saunter around the bakery section of any store when ever I go for shopping…and then there occurs a clash between my “wish” and my diet consciousness….
Have you been in situations like these ??? the best thing to do is to eat before going for a grocery shopping,as when we are hungry while in a grocery store we end up buying lot of unnecessary things which we never intended to buy.
I have learned that small and frequent meals is the best option for any weight loss diet hence its good to store snacks in our pantry so that our hunger is satisfied timely to prevent over eating, but its hard to find ” healthy and tasty” snacks these days.
I had some Raspberries and Strawberries sitting in my fridge so decided to fill this snack with it but any fruit preserves or Jam’s would work good too.
Slightly adapted from Quaker Oats Recipe & Recipe fromThe pioneer woman
Wheat Flour – 1/2 cup
All Purpose Flour – 1/2 cup
(Regular or Quick) Oats – 1 cup
Brown Sugar – 1 cup
Baking Powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt – 1/4 tsp
Vanilla essence – 1/4 tsp
Butter – 1/2 cup or 1 stick
Egg – 1 small
For Filling – use fruits you like or else any Jam.
I used some
Strawberries(Few) & Raspberries (1/2 cup approx)
Brown Sugar – 3 Tb Sp
Cook whole Strawberries and Raspberries with brown sugar till nicely done , mash it lightly with a wooden spoon and switch off the heat (There shouldn’t be much liquid/juice left in the pan)
Keep this aside.
Preheat the oven to 375 Degree F. Grease a small or medium sized square shaped baking pan and keep aside.
* Mix together flour’s (Wheat flour and Plain flour or else may use only plain flour 1 cup) with oats,baking Powder , salt , Vanilla essence and Brown sugar.
* Cut the butter in to small cubes and mix these with the flour and oats mixture , work with your hands to mix everything together until it resembles course crumbs.
* Divide this mixture in to two equal portions , add egg to one portion and mix with a spoon to combine.
* Transfer the egg mixed oats mixture to the greased baking dish and bake in 375 degree F for 15 to 20 minutes till its cooked inside and the sides looks light brown.
* When its done , take out and insert the surface of the cooked base with a fork and pour the filling over it , spread evenly.
* Sprinkle the other half of the oats mixture over the top and pat gently and bake in 375 Degree F (Place it on the top most rack in the oven) , bake for another 15 to 20 minutes – until golden brown on top.
* When cooled , cut in to squares and serve.
Enjoy these healthy snacks anytime without regrets….
Something to crunch while watching a cookery show….or during a Soccer match.
By the way “World cup” begins tomorrow 🙂
Cut these only when its cooled completely or else it tends to break.
Store these in Air tight containers , if intending to store for a longer period its better to fill the same with Jam instead of fruits.