My favorite even though one needs to be little patient and spent time to enjoy these thoroughly.
Other wise need to chew its shell but that’s only when we get small crabs.
We used to have crab curry at least once in a week as my Achachen’s (Dad) was a huge fan of these, it was me and him who were the most happy one’s to be present in the dining room waiting to hear from my Mum that the curry is ready…In Kerala we never get this cleaned, need little more patience to clean it too hence my Mother used to an “Angry bird” 😉
every time she sees “live crabs” in the Market Bag…
Yea…..its tough to clean and to cook these then again spent time eating it too…but its worth doing.
At the end of the day we all appreciate Mum’s patience which brings that bright smile on her face..
That’s so True 🙂
We got Crab claws this time and they had its shell slightly cracked too hence didn’t have to crush it as we used to do in my place.
If we get a whole crab , or any fleshly part of it with its shell on , its better to crush its thick shell with any metal rod or heavy object before cooking so that the flavors enters its flesh and also it helps to remove the shell easily.
This recipe is without Coconut, that’s how we make it in Alleppey – My place in Kerala.
Unlike any Fish Curry’s in Kerala , Masala’s / Spices plays a major role in flavoring this curry , and its believed that “Black pepper ” and “Coriander Powder ” are the key – ingredients in any Kerala style Crab Curry.
This Crab curry is spicy , do adjust pepper as per to your preference.
Crab – 1 Pound
Onion – 1 medium sliced (For best results use small Onion/Shallots 10 to 15 no’s)
Green chili’s – 2 sliced
Ginger and Garlic chopped – 2 Tb Sp each
Curry Leaves – 2 springs
Turmeric Powder 1/2 tsp
Kashmiri Red Chili Powder/Paprika – 1 and 1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder – 2 Tb Sp
Kudampuli/ Kokum or Cocum – 2 to 4 no’s (May substitute with vinegar or normal tamarind paste)
Coconut Oil – 3 Tb Sp
Meat Masala Powder / or else use Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Cinnamon – 1 small pieces
Cloves – 3 to 5 no’s
Black Pepper corns – 1 to 2 Tsp crushed (Adjust as per your preference)
Whole Coriander – 1 Tsp (Optional)
*Soak Cocum/Kudampuli (If using) in 1/4 cup hot water , keep aside.
* Wash the crab pieces , if need crush lightly its hard shell with any heavy object , I didn’t do it as I got it marked.
* Add salt , turmeric powder , onion , ginger , garlic and Green chili’s to it, mix to combine then sprinkle little water (About 1/4 to 1/2 cup) , Keep aside (though no marination needed)
* Crush Cinnamon , cloves and Coriander seeds (if using) and keep aside.
* Heat 2 Tb Sp oil in a chatti/Madka or Wok and add in crushed spices (cinnamon , cloves and coriander seeds ) saute for few seconds and then add the crab mixture.
Cook this covered in medium heat till it starts to boil.
* When it boils , add red chili powder /Paprika and coriander Powder , stir and sprinkle water (if it looks dry) and cover and cook again for 5 to 10 minutes.
* Then add the Cocum with the water in which it was soaked and stir, let the gravy start to reduce to consistency you need it , I wanted it thick so cooked it open for more time.
* Add crushed black pepper, Meat Masala powder and curry leaves, stir and cook for 4 to 6 more minute and switch off the heat.
* Drizzle the rest of the oil on top , and cover the pot/wok, let sit for sometime , it taste best when it sits for 3 to 6 hour’s after cooking,
But we never waited that long 🙂
Enjoy Spicy Kerala Style Crab Curry with Rice , Roti or any Bread.