Had some pineapple in my fridge , if left any longer will have to be trashed hence decided to make a Pineapple Roll Cake and some fun Pineapple painting too as after my successful painted cake roll, am too much interested in decorating cake’s.
Went artistic today….
To make the Pineapple cake roll’s you’ll need the following
For Paint/Design – Optional
1 egg white
2 Tb Sp Butter in room temperature
3 Tb Sp Powdered Sugar or Confectioner’s Sugar
4 Tb Sp All Purpose flour
Color’s – Yellow and Green
For the Filling
1 cup Chopped Pineapple pieces
2 Tb Sp Brown Sugar
Water – 2 Tb Sp
2 Tb Sp Powdered Sugar
1/3 Cup Whipping cream (may take more- up to 1 cup)
For the Cake
All Purpose Flour – 3/4 cup
Baking Powder – 1/2 tsp
Powdered Sugar – 3/4 cup
Egg – 4 no’s (i used 3 whole eggs and 1 left over egg yolk only)
Pineapple essence – 1 tsp or else use Vanilla Essence
Warm water – 2 Tb Sp
If making the decoration , start with the Paint/Design , as it need to be kept in the freezer for at least 15 minutes.
Prepare Parchment paper and first , draw a rough design of pineapple’s on a parchment sheet , need to draw only 1/2 part of the parchment paper as the rest goes inside when rolled.
Reversed this sheet to place it on to a Sheet Pan / Flat pan.
Grease this parchment paper with some butter and dust flour over it or else use a non stick spray.
Pipe the Design
Use Ingredients given under Paint/Design –
Mix first room temperature Butter and sugar with a spoon , then add slightly beaten egg white to it , stir and combine and then add the flour little at a time , mix and combine everything well – divide this in to two and mix colors (Green and Yellow) to each. transfer to a piping bag or any plastic storage bag – cut its ends off and pipe the designs to the prepared parchment paper.
Place this design with the baking tray in the freezer so that the designs gets set , in the mean time prepare the Cake Batter.
Preparing Cake Batter
* Preheat the oven to 375 Degree F
* Swift together flour and baking powder , keep aside.
* Beat eggs with superfine sugar till light and fluffy then add in the vanilla essence and warm water , beat for another 2 to 3 minutes
* Add then the sifted flour mixture little at a time , mix with a spoon to combine and the batter is ready.
* Pour this batter over the freezed design (If making cake with the design) or else pour this batter to a baking tray lined with greased parchment paper
* Bake for just 10 minutes in 375 Degree F and take out the cake immediately.
* Let it cool for 3 to 5 minutes.
Preparing the Filling
Heat the Pineapple Pieces with 2 Tb Sp Brown sugar and 2 Tb Sp water , let the water start to boil and then stop the heat , remove the water / Syrup from the pineapple pieces and keep aside.
Beat Whipping cream , when stiff add 2 Tb Sp powdered sugar , beat and combine well , add then cooled pineapple pieces and beat again for another 4 to 5 minutes
The filling is ready.
Rolling the Cake
* Once the cake is out of the oven let cool for 3 to 5 minutes ,then flip the cake to another parchment paper dusted with confectioner’s sugar so that the cake wont stick , then slowly remove the parchment paper from above to see the design let cool again for another 3 minutes.
*Flip again (now the plain side of the cake will be visible) to spread the filling.
* Before spreading the prepared filling , just roll the cake once and keep for a minute , unroll it and brush the cake with the pineapple syrup (which was taken from the pineapple pieces while boiling) then fill the cake with the cream and pineapple filling.
* Roll the filled cake , start form the other end of the design so that when fully rolled the designs are visible.
* cover with a parchment paper and refrigerate for an hour. Then cut the ends off and serve.
Check Painted cake Roll / Jam Roll’s here in this blog for a detailed presentation on how to make roll cakes.
Happy Weekend 🙂