The Best Americanized – Chinese Dish that I have ever made at home. Thanks to Rinz – My friend who introduced this dish to me while in ” Panda Express ” in fact it was she who prepared this dish at home before me trying it….
Its a little sweet Chicken dish but I made it little spicy as Indians always choose spicy food especially when its with any meat preparation , I never even imagined of preparing a sweet Non vegetarian dish while in India.
Recipe Slightly Adapted from Damndelicious.net
Chicken Breast – 2 medium sized cut into chunks
Colored Bell Peppers – 2 no’s (Optional-its not used in the original recipe)
Green Onions – 3 no’s chopped (white and green part)
Brown Sugar – 2 tsp (or more , adjust as per your preference)
Garlic – 3 no’s minced
Ginger – 1/2 tsp Chopped
Pepper Powder – 1/2 tsp (Adjust as per your preference)
Oil – for frying
Egg – 1 no beaten
Corn flour – 1/4 cup (Approx)
White Sesame seeds – 1/2 tsp (Optional)
For Marinade & Sauce
Orange zest and juice – from 1 orange
Vinegar – 3 Tb Sp
Soy Sauce – 2 Tb Sp (I used light)
Chili Sauce or Sriracha – 1 Tb Sp (Or less)
Salt to taste
May use Chicken Broth 1/4 cup (I didn’t use)
* To make the marinade , whisk together all the ingredients given under Marinade , keep aside.
* In an Ziploc Bag or a bowl , combine chicken , a pinch of salt and some Marinade mix (little to coat the chicken pieces – 1/4 portion of the total marinade mixture) , Marinate for at least 30 minutes.
* Heat oil in a wok , while the oil is heating , drain and discard the marinade mixture from the chicken pieces (marinated liquid) , dip each chicken pieces in beaten egg first then coat’em in Flour and fry the pieces in the heated oil till golden brown and cooked through, keep aside.
* In an other pan , heat 2 Tb Sp oil (from the fried oil) , add ginger and garlic minced , saute for a minute and add the white part of green onions , saute for an other 1 minute and then add the rest of the marinade , sugar & Pepper Powder, let it start to boil.
* When it boils and reduces a bit add in the chicken pieces and Bell pepper pieces (If using) , turn heat on high stir to combine all ingredients well , cook for just 2 to 4 on high heat and switch off the heat (the water should have been dried by then)
* Garnish with chopped green part of green onion and some sesame seeds (If using)
Notes : Chicken should be cooked thoroughly while deep frying it and shouldn’t be cooked for more time in the sauce as then it looses its crispness and becomes soggy , I actually did this mistake 😉
still it was tasty.