Though Szechuan is a spicy Chinese sauce, almost all Indians accepted this dish as their own probably because its spicy, used to buy this sauce when in India but this time, made it at home as its not something that I use regularly,
though this sauce can be used to make a variety of Indo – Chinese Dishes.
Ingredients for Schezwan Sauce
Red chili’s (Preferably Kashmiri Red chili’s) – 10’s
Garlic – 10 no’s finely chopped
Ginger – 1 Tb Sp finely chopped
Vinegar – 1 Tb Sp
Sesame Oil – 4 Tb Sp (Or else use Vegetable oil)
Brown Sugar – 1 Tsp (or else use regular sugar)
Soy Sauce – 1 Tb Sp
Tomato Sauce – 1 Tb Sp (Optional)
* Soak Red chili’s in water for an hour , drain almost all water and grind it with the vinegar (1 Tb Sp) or little water sprinkled to it.
I didn’t have Dry red Chili’s so used (Kashmiri ) chili Powder…….secret Revealed 😉
* Heat oil in a pan and saute finely chopped garlic and ginger, when it starts to change its color, add red chili powder oopz – the red chili paste (Ground Red Chili’s) saute for a minute and then add Soy sauce ,Tomato sauce (If using) and vinegar (if not used for grinding the red chili’s) switch off the heat and add sugar.
* Let it cool to room temperature then transfer to an Air tight container((if possible use a glass)
store in the refrigerator.
Schezwan Rice Noodles Recipe
I prefer these soft rice noodle’s as then the initial cooking and draining is not needed , it gets cooked in the wok it self but it needs to be soaked in water for sometime,
we buy it usually from an Asian store.May use any Noodle’s of your choice.
Have used egg in this recipe , may omit the same to make it a total Vegetarian dish.
Rice Noodles – 1 packet
Garlic – 3 to 5 no’s chopped
Schezwan Sauce – 2 Tb Sp
Soy sauce – 1/2 Tb Sp
Tomato Sauce – 2 Tsp (Optional)
Egg – 3 no’s Beaten with a pinch of salt (Optional)
Mixed Vegetable’s – I used Carrot – thin diagonal pieces ,Beans – 10 no’s sliced length wise in to 1 inch size,Cabbage – sliced length wise. Use any vegetable which you use to make regular Noodle’s/Fried Rice.
Vegetable oil – 3 to 4 Tb Sp
Green Onion – 3 no’s chopped
Salt to taste
* If using Rice noodle’s , need to soak’em in water for 15 to 30 minutes. if using the regular noodle’s follow packet instructions ,cook and drain noodle’s keep aside.
* In a wok , add little Oil , cook the beaten egg , scramble it and remove from the wok , keep aside.
* Add to the heated wok , little Oil , saute all vegetable’s (Add first the vegetable’s which need more cooking like carrots , cook for 2 to 4 minutes then add other vegetable’s) when all vegetable’s gets cooked lightly, Remove from the wok, keep aside.
* Add then rest of the oil to the wok, saute chopped garlic for a minute then add Schezwan sauce , stir and add in the noodles (Drain the noodle’s before adding it to the wok) , use forks to stir and combine the noodles, keep the heat to medium.
* When the noodle’s become soft (if rice Noodle’s ) add the Cooked vegetable’s , stir and then add the scrambled eggs to it and stir. Add then the sauces (soy sauce and tomato sauce if using) , stir and cook all the ingredients till well combined. Cook for 5 minutes , stirring constantly and switch off the heat.
*Add the chopped green onion – white and green part on top and serve.