A Gujarati Dish – can be served for Breakfast too, we enjoyed it as a snack with Green Chutney , a healthy snack as its a steamed dish almost like the Rava Idli.
Suji / Semolina – 1 cup
Curd (Sour) – 1 and 1/4 cup
Green chili’s – 2 to 4 no’s (adjust as per your preference)
Cilantro/Coriander Leaves – 1/2 cup chopped
Salt to taste
Eno Fruit salt (or else use Soda Powder) – 1/4 tsp
Turmeric Powder – a pinch
For Tempering / Tadka
Oil – 1 Tb Sp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves – 1 spring
Sugar – 1 tsp
Water – 2 Tb Sp
* Mix semolina/Suji with 1 cup curd , green chili’s , Cilantro , salt and Turmeric Powder.
* This step is Optional -Blend this mixture for a minute or two (In a blender)
Or else Stir and combine all ingredients using a spoon.
* Keep this mixture for an hour (Minimum half an hour) and then just before steaming this , add Eno fruit salt or else Soda Powder and the rest of the curd (1/4 cup) stir and pour this mixture to a greased plate.
* Mix Sugar in 2 Tb Sp Water and keep aside. Heat oil in an other pan , pop mustard seeds and saute curry leave ,mix the sugar and water mixture to this tadka/seasoning and , pour this tadka/seasoning over the steamed Dhokla / Semolina cake.
* Once cooled a bit (about 5 to 7 minutes) Slice and serve with Green chutney
Need to serve’em hot
: May Sprinkle some Chili Powder on top while pouring the seasoning , to make it little spicy.
: A pressure cooker can be used to steam this too , do not put the pressure on it , pour little water and a base plate , place the plate with the mixture to be steamed over the base plate (Water should be just half way through the base plate and shouldn’t touch the plate with the mixture to be steamed )
: Cooking time may vary hence check if done using a fork.