Little time consuming but worth doing as this is what I fill NA’s lunch box with , lot more healthier than the frozen nuggets.
A tasty snack too , may fill’em in a bugger bun or else enjoy with a Sarlas – Onion salad.
It should be brown on all sides and that happens when its deep fried , I usually shallow fry it – fry till brown on both sides hence looks little less attractive than the regular cutlets.
Stage 1 (To marinate and cook the chicken)
Chicken (Boneless) – I used 2 chicken breast pieces
Black pepper corns – 2 tsp (as per your preference)
Cinnamon stick – 1 small piece
Cloves – 3 no’s
Cardamom – 3 to 5 no’s
Ginger – 1 inch size small piece
Garlic – 4 to 6 no’s
Curry leaves – 1 to 2 springs (optional , I didn’t use)
Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
Vinegar – 3 Tb sp
Salt to taste
Oil- olive oil or coconut oil 1 Tb sp
Stage – 2
Potatoes – 2 medium sized boiled , skin removed and mashed.
Onion – 2 medium finely chopped
Green chili’s – 2 to 4 no’s finely chopped ( as per your preference)
Ginger – 1 Tb Sp finely chopped
Garlic – 1 Tb Sp finely chopped
Garam Masala or any Meat masala Poweder or All spice powder – 1/2 tsp (Optional)
Chili Powder/Paprika powder – 1 tsp.
Oil – 3 Tb sp for sauteing
Salt to taste.
Stage – 3
1 egg to coat the cutlets and some bread crumbs
Oil for frying
* Cut the chicken pieces in to big chunks and marinate with the ingredients in stage 1- Ingredients under marinating) for some time (1/2 an hour) , cook the chicken pieces open till water in it dries off (almost takes 25 to 40 minutes)
* Once cooled , shred the cooked chicken pieces along with the whole spices using a food processor/ chopper/ blender , keep aside.
* In an other pan , add oil to saute onion , green chili’s , ginger and garlic till golden brown, add red chili powder and then add in the shredded chicken pieces , stir and saute this for 5 to 7 minutes in medium heat (there shouldn’t be any water left in the chicken, if any saute till its all dry) then add the mashed potatoes and Garam Masala(If using) , salt (just for those extra potatoes and masala as the chicken is cooked with salt too) Stir to combine everything well and switch off the heat.
* When the mixture cools down a bit and its bearable to work with your hands , shape’em to what ever shape you like , I made it circle for the ease of it (heart shape or oval looks good too)
* Dip these shaped cutlets to lightly beaten egg first then coat’em with bread crumbs.
* Store these in an air tight containers , stays good till 1 week in refrigerator, or else freeze it to keep it for longer time period.
* Could make 23 Cutlets with the amount of ingredients here, deep fry them or else shallow fry’em in a pan till both sides are brown.