Maundy Thursday – also called Holy Thursday
Maundy which means “Washing of the Feet ” as Jesus washed his disciples feet the day on Last_Supper , in remembrance of which Christians follow a custom,when the eldest person in the family would pray and break this bread and give it to the others in the family.
Made a hot cross bun for our supper tonight, we used to buy’em from any Bakery while in Kerala,
but today I tried making it here, followed The Pioneer Women – Hot Cross Bun Recipe to make these.
Christians in Kerala make “Pesaha Paal” & Indri Appam on this day, the recipes for which I shall post later 🙂
Pesaha Paal is made with Jaggery/Raw Sugar & Coconut Milk),
an interesting thing is that we boil with this “Paal”/ Flavored Coconut Milk, the palm leaf which we get from the church on Palm Sunday.
though I do it every year , I am not sure why I do it
Here are some Bunny like Bun’s 🙂
But it needs some patience too
please don’t compare it with mine 😦
Recipe adapted from The pioneer woman ,
I added some wheat flour as always and also egg which is optional.
If adding Wheat flour – for bread , use super fine wheat flour , I use Indian wheat flour (Ashirvad or Sujatha Brand)
For the Bread
All Purpose Flour – 2 cups
Wheat Flour – 2 cup
Yeast – 3 tsp
Egg – 1 (Optional)
Milk – 2 cups
Sugar – 1/2 cup
Oil – 1/2 cup (I used Vegetable oil )
spice Mix – For the bread
All purpose flour – 1/2 cup
Sugar – 1/4 cup
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Baking Powder – 1/2 tsp heaped
Baking Soda – 1/2 tsp (scant )
Spices – a few grated – I used only nutmeg , use spices you like.
1 egg white & 2 Tb Sp Milk
* Mix 1/2 cup sugar with milk and oil in a sauce pan , heat it till very warm and switch off the heat, let it cool to become warm but not hot.
* Sprinkle Yeast over this mixture.
* Mix together Wheat flour and plain /All purpose flour , add this flour mixture to the milk mixture , add egg (If using ) and mix well to combine.
* Keep aside this sticky mixture for an hour (cover with a wet towel)
* After 1 hour
Make the spice mix -(Ingredients given under spice mix)
* Mix 1/2 cup flour with baking powder , baking soda , Nutmeg or spices (you like) ,salt & Sugar ,
knead this mixture to the fermented dough.(Above)
* Lightly flour the surface and transfer the dough to the surface, knead , fold and flatten the dough for some time , till its soft and are pliable.
* Divide it in to equal portions , may bake some bigger disc shaped breads or else pinch small size (a big lemon size) balls , smooth-en it lightly with your hands to make small buns.
I made few buns to look like bunny bread 😉 and some bigger round shaped bread.
* Place on lightly greased cookie sheet or bake dish , cover with a towel and allow to rise in a warm place for at least 1 hour.
* Preheat the oven to 400 Degree
* For Egg wash (Mix Egg white with little milk , lightly brush the surface with this egg wash) and bake this in 400 degree F for 20 to 25 minutes until the outside looks nice and brown.
* For the cross -(Optional) made a thick dough with little All purpose flour and the yolk (of the egg taken for egg wash) , shaped it to make a thin cross and placed it over the bread before baking.
& My Bunny like Breads – ready to go in to the oven
When its done
NA told me to name these Rhyno Bread as she says a few of’em looks like Rhyno 😦
* Divide in to portions and then make a disc- shape with the dough like the one below , use any sharp edged thing (Spoon or knife) to mark a cross (Optional) and keep till they rise a bit (1 hour ) then bake in 400 Degree Pre heated oven for 15 Minutes, Take these almost baked bread out & cover’em with a foil or else it tends to get browned on the top.
* Bake again for another 5 to 10 Minutes until the sides turns brown.