Today being Palm Sunday most Christian families in Kerala would have “Kozhukkatta” / this rice dumplings , am not sure why……since its a tradition I made it too , this is also one of my favorite snack….
My Mother used to make these even when she was just learning cooking , this was one of the snack she used to make with confidence….and we used to enjoy it often.
Today morning when NA woke up , I wished her and told her that its Palm Sunday & things related to it , though she seemed to be excited for reason only she knows , I knew she didn’t understand things that I told her fully , after sometime she came with her Bible and asked me to pick that page in her Bible narrating the story of “Palm Sunday” and she’s still by my side with that pictures and unending doubts which I am struggling to answer…
For the Rice dough
Rice Flour – 1 cup
Boiling Water – 1 cup (May add little milk – gives nice white color , but I forgot to add it )
Ghee – 1 tsp (Optional)
Jaggery – 1/4 cup grated or else use Brown Sugar – 4 to 5 Tb Sp
Grated Coconut – 1/2 cup
Cardamom crushed – 2 no’s
Ghee – 1 tsp (Optional)
May add any dry nuts or Dry grapes , I didn’t add any.
* Boil water in a heavy bottom pan , when it bubbles add salt and ghee and keep the heat to low.
*Slowly add in the rice flour , stirring it vigorously till the flour is all mixed in , keep stirring until the flour starts to solidify and stick to the spoon -used to stir the mixture, Switch off the heat and keep this dough covered with a wet paper towel /cloth.
* Melt Jaggery with little water sprinkled to it , when its all melted add grated coconut and stir and cook in medium to low heat till the filling looks dry , add crushed cardamom and ghee , switch off the heat.
* Work with your hands to knead & make the rice-flour dough smooth , make a medium size ball with the rice flour dough (with approx 3 Tb Sp dough) , flatten it within your palm it self and place little coconut filling to the middle.
* Bring the ends together and make it into a ball again.
* Smooth-en these stuffed dumplings with your palm. Place these dumplings on a steamer / Idli steamer.
I had some store bought banana leafs, so went with that traditional way this time , place these dumplings on banana leafs and steamed it for 10 to 12 minutes.
* Switch off the heat , allow the steam to escape for another 2 – 3 minutes and then transfer to a serving dish.
Serve hot !!