Any thing with coconut is very much accepted in our place , hence this Okra curry too , addition of potatoes makes the curry thick , an accompaniment for Kerala Rice
or can be served as a side dish for Chapathi or plain bread.
Okra/ Ladies Finger – 10 no’s (Approx )cut 1 inch length wise.
Potatoes – 1 medium cubed
Green Chili’s – 2 no’s
Onion – 1 medium
Ginger and Garlic 1 tsp each finely chopped
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Coriander Powder – 2 tsp
Chili Powder – 1/2 tsp (Optional -that gives a different color)
Freshly ground Black pepper – 1 tsp
Coconut Milk – 3/4 of a tin (or else use 1 cup thin milk and 1/2 cup thick milk)
Curry Leave – 1 spring – I didn’t have it 😦
Fennel Seeds – 1 tsp
Cinnamon – 1 small piece
Cloves – 2 no’s
Cardamom – 2 no’s
Oil – 4 Tb Sp ( I used coconut oil)
Vinegar / Lime juice – 1 tsp (Optional)
Salt to taste.
*Crush the Masala/ Spices (Fennel seeds , cardamom , cloves and Cinnamon) , Keep aside.
* Heat 2 Tb Sp of oil in a pan (if possible a non stick pan) and shallow fry first the cubed potatoes , when half done add the okra/Ladies finger pieces till they are light brown out side, Keep aside.
* Heat the rest of the oil in an other pan (I used a clay pot/Madka) . Add the crushed spices to the heated oil and saute for a few seconds.
* Add the thinly sliced onion , finely chopped ginger , garlic and the slit green chili’s , saute for 5 to 7 minutes till the onion turns golden brown.
* Add then the shallow fried potatoes and the Freshly ground black Pepper
(do not add fried okra now, as it then gets over cooked)
* Mix well and then add turmeric powder , coriander powder and chili powder (If using) , stir and cook the same for 5 to 7 minutes and then add in thin coconut milk
( or else 1 cup water – if using the thick store bought coconut milk)
*When it starts to boil add the fried Okra/ Ladies finger and vinegar or lime juice (if using)
cook for 5 minutes.
*Add then the thick coconut milk , stir to combine everything well and add the curry leaves (if using) , cook for just 2 minute after adding thick coconut milk and switch off the heat.
Okra / Ladies Finger in coconut milk gravy is now ready to be served.