Idli being a star Breakfast in South India , this in any form is acceptable.
Though I prefer the regular Idli , this one here is easy to make , I made it when I woke up late a weekend and was thinking how to satisfy the other two hungry tummy’s here as Oats an Cereals are preferred only during the weekdays.
I otherwise like Masala Idli – which is made with this rava Idle , that’s a wonderful snack Item
Rava /Semolina – 1 cup
Curd – 1 cup
Green Chili’s – 2 no’s finely chopped
Coriander Leaves – 1/2 cup finely chopped
Baking Soda – 1/4 tsp or use Eno Fruit salt – 1 sachet
Salt to taste
May add cashew nuts to this too , I didn’t add it
For the seasoning
Oil – 2 Tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Chana dal or use Urad dal – 1 tsp
Asafoetida /Hing – a pinch
Ginger – 1/2 inch size finely chopped
* Heat Oil in a pan , pop mustard , add then Chana dal or Urad dal (I used Chana dal) , saute till the dal looks brown.
* Add ginger and saute for a few seconds , and add rava/Semolina , stir rava for not more than 2 minutes.
* Switch off the heat and allow to cool (about 5 to 7 minutes) , add then curd and all other ingredients (Green chili’s , cilantro/coriander leaves , Asafoetida , salt , baking soda or Eno fruit salt and cashews (if using)
* Add water little at a time to make batter about ( 1/2 to 1 cup) and keep this aside for 15 to 20 minutes.
* After 20 minutes , rava absorbs all water and you may have to add more water to make it a batter, consistency similar to normal Idli batter.
*Prepare steamer , grease the Idli mould and pour batter on it and steam cook the same for 10 to 15 minutes.
*Serve Hot with any Chutney