Simply delicious is this chocolate cake recipe and an addition of Ice cream filling makes it scrumptious and also changes it to a pudding.
Recipe for the chocolate cake adapted from Ina Garten
Was not sure if Ice creams stay good if refrigerated instead of freezing , hence I decided to mix some gelatin to the ice cream and make it fit to be stored in the refrigerator , need to try the easy way of just filling these cakes with simply Ice cream , next time.
I halved the measurements given in to Original recipe by Ina , so that I can make a small cake in a 5 x 3 size Loaf pan but then I could make a few cup cakes too as little batter was remaining.
This measurement other wise makes one 8- inch x 2 – inch round cake.
For the Chocolate cake
All Purpose Flour – 3/4 cup
Sugar – 1 cup
Cocoa Powder – a little less than 1/4 cup
Baking Soda – 1 tsp
Baking Powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt – 1/4 tsp
Egg – 1
Butter milk – 1/2 cup
Butter or Vegetable Oil – 1/4 cup
Vanilla Extract – 1/2 tsp
Hot freshly brewed Coffee – 1/2 cup
*Preheat the oven to 350 Degree F
* Sift together all the dry ingredients in a bowl (Flour, sugar , Baking powder , Baking soda , cocoa and salt) Keep aside.
* Combine Butter Milk , oil , egg and Vanilla , slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients , mix in low speed (if using a Mixer) then add in the coffee and stir just to combine everything well.
*Pour this batter in to a greased pan (I used loaf pan) and bake in the 350 Preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes until a fork when inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
* Cool in the pans for 30 to 45 minutes and then turn’em out on to a cooling rack.
For the filling
Ice Cream – 1 and 1/2 cup any flavor (I used Vanilla Ice cream)
Gelatin – 1 table spoon
Cold Water – 1/2 cup (May use Milk or Cream too)
Condensed Milk – 2 table spoon
* Keep Ice cream outside for some time (15 to 20 minutes )
*Mix gelatin with 1/4 cup water until it dissolves , mix rest of the water with condensed milk in a pan and heat the same , when it starts to boil , add the gelatin mixed water and , stir to combine.
* Mix the gelatin to the melted ice cream and keep it in the refrigerator (for about 30 to 45 minutes) and it then starts to set.
Assemble the cake
To help taking the cake out , after the ice cream is set , place foil sheet on the cake loaf pan first , as shown below.
* Slice and layer the cake to make two from the middle (or make two small cakes with this batter , to avoid the cutting part)
* Place the cake bottom ( cut side up) on the foil (which is on the loaf pan) and spread the ice cream filling on the cake.
* Cover this with the other layer of the cake (cut side down) and freeze for 10 to 15 minutes till the cake and filling is stiff.
May serve this after its set , but then I was little more enthusiastic yesterday and I coated this Ice cream filled loaf cake with an icing to make it extra chocolaty , may cover’em with a Chocolate Ganache with just melted chocolate and cream.
For the Coating – Optional
Coat the cake only after its set.
Butter – 2 table spoon
Semi sweet Chocolate chips – 1/4 cup
Confectioner’s sugar – 1/2 cup
Melt the chocolate chips using a double boiler , add the butter and stir , when its all melted add in the confectioner’s sugar , when combined , add little boiling water to make it the consistency you want and pour it on to cake , freeze for another 5 to 10 minutes and then its ready.
May store this in the refrigerator.