This dish is packed with super nutrients as its Banana flower with Lentil sprouts
The reason for sprouting lentils
- Lentils contain a compound called Phytic acid which are little difficult to digest and hence can cause gas troubles or flatulence because of delayed digestion , anyways lentils in any form are packed with proteins , if its sprouted then it neutralizes the phytic acid and hence makes it easier to digest and also it then transforms in to a completely different product , as its composition is very much changed , it increase the amount of vitamins and minerals in it.
How to sprout Lentils
- Soak whole lentils in water for 10 to 12 hours , drain water and keep these closed with a damp towel for another 12 hours , rinse every 12 hours until sprouts appear , once sprouted store these in the fridge, usually it occurs with in 1 to 2 days.
About Banana Flower
These are packed with Vitamin A and C and also has Anti-oxidant properties which helps in reducing Heart diseases.
The comparatively hard husks have to be peeled away and the leaves in the middle are used for cooking.
Does that look like a crime scene ……..
Banana Flower – 1 medium size , washed and finely chopped.
Lentils – 1/2 cup soaked (if possible sprouted)
Onion – 1 medium size chopped
Garlic – 4 no’s crushed and chopped.
Coconut – 1/4 cup(Optional)
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Red Chili – 2 to 3 no’s crushed
Red Chili Powder – 1/2 table spoon.
Curry Leaves – 1 spring (optional – I didn’t use it)
Coconut oil – 2 table spoon and little extra for rubbing chopped flower.
* Wash and chop Banana flower finely , rub little oil , turmeric powder and salt to it.
* Cook these in low flame , keeping it covered for 10 to 15 minutes , till the water from these drains out.
*Add the soaked lentils and salt to it , cook’em covered for another 10 minutes in low heat. (if its sprouted , lentils doesn’t need much time to get cooked)
* Add finely chopped onion and stir to cook for another 5 minutes , make space in between and add 2 table spoon oil , when its heated add chopped garlic , dry red chili’s and red chili powder and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Mix to combine well and add the coconut and curry leaves(if using).A final mix and the dish is ready to serve.
* Serve with Rice or Chapathi.
If using lentils which is not soaked , cook lentils first till they are almost done and then add the flower to it ,coo’em covered , stirring occasionally till all the water dries off.