A little about my Native Place Alleppey in Kerala- India.These are the interiors/ Kuttanadu side of Alleppey.
That’s my Cousin guiding a French Tourist with her feature about the “Interiors of Alleppey” in a Television show in – France 3 Television.
The person driving the boat is actually exchanging goods for the Egg’s he takes from the home makers who grows Hen , that’s how homemakers there make pocket-money.
There are people selling fresh cow’s milk from their home grown Cow , Goats & others does works like cleaning prawns to be exported , they get paid per amount of prawns cleaned , some does works with coir – that’s fiber from the husk of coconut fruit , they work with it to make mats and carpets out of it.
Happy to share this video with you all.
The making of Vegetable Momos and Chili Sauce / Vegetable stuffed Dumplings.
I loved the Chicken Momos I tried making , the history and little of information I read about Momos are given in that link. This time I made these for some of our Vegetarian friends whom we invited for Dinner. Were served as appetizers as it can be made ahead of time and also are super delicious and healthy too apart from the All Purpose flour 😉 but that’s ok can equalize it with the ingredients used to stuff the same. I used the super healthy Broccoli and Carrot to fill’em up.
There is usually no cooking needed for the filling , but I just did a 5 minute – stir fry , to ensure it taste good and flavorful as I was serving these to our guest , didn’t want to take chance of biting a garlic or Jalapeno and then people running for water.
Making of Momos
For the dough
All purpose flour – 1 cup
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 3 table spoon (vegetable or canola oil)
Water – 1/2 cup approx ( required to make a soft dough)
* Mix All Purpose flour and salt , water and 2 table spoon oil to make a soft dough , coat the dough with the rest of oil , cover with a wet kitchen towel or paper towel and keep aside.
For the Filling (Use your choice of vegetable’s for the filling)
I used the following
Broccoli – 1 medium finely chopped
Carrot – 1 medium finely chopped
Celery – 1 stick finely chopped
Garlic – 6 no’s finely chopped
Jalapeno pepper – 1 no or use green chili – 2 to 3 no’s ( or less)
Spring Onion – 2 no’s white part ( finely chopped , use the green part for the sauce)
or use Onion 1/2 of 1 medium
Salt to taste
Soya sauce – 1 table spoon (Optional)
Oil – I used vegetable oil 2 table spoon
* Heat Oil in a pan , add the chopped garlic first to flavor the oil , then add in all the vegetables finely chopped , add salt and saute for 5 minutes in medium heat stirring constantly.
* Add the soya sauce , make sure there isn’t any left over water , if then cook for some more time till the water dries off and switch off the heat , keep aside to cool.
Cost of that Soy sauce is $ 1 and some cents 😉
* Make very small ball’s with the dough , and roll’em to 3 to 4 inch diameter circle , place less than 1 table spoon of this filing in the center and bring the end’s together to make a small sac or bag as shown here. (Roll the circle’s to make them thin in the center part)
* Roll the rest of the dough to make these dumpling and cover’em with a wet towel to prevent drying.
* Prepare a steamer (an Idli steamer) , brush the base plate and each dumplings with Oil so that they won’t stick and then steam these for 10 to 15 minutes.
And the Veg Momos are ready to eat , goes good with a sesame sauce , chili sauce or a garlic infused chili sauce as we had the recipe for which is given below.
Garlic Infused Chili Sauce
These will go well with any other appetizers too , Soccer man fell in love with these , I knew it because he’s a fan of Garlic , any Garlic lovers would love this sauce.
Dry Red Chilis – 6 to 8 no’s (or less)
Garlic – 6 to 8 no’s finely chopped
Vinegar – 3 table spoon
Hot Sauce – 1 table spoon
Tomato sauce – 2 table spoon
Soy sauce – 2 tsp (Optional)
Oil – 1/4 cup ( I used olive oil , or use Vegetable oil)
Green Onion – 2 no’s use the Green part for garnishing (Optional)
* Soak the Red Chili’s in vinegar for 3 to 4 hour’s and grind them to a coarse paste. (Use kashmiri Red chili if you have’em )
* Heat oil in a pan , add the finely chopped garlic saute for a few seconds and add in the ground red chili paste , cook for 3 to 4 minutes in medium heat , stir constantly.
* Add in the Sauces , stir and switch off the heat.
* Garnish with the green onion chopped and serve.