I made it in a pressure cooker and so named it quick Biriyani…..A super easy main course dish IF – you have cleaned , deveined prawns.
Have heard that prawns shouldn’t be washed much, a quick water rinse after devening is just required to keep’em flavor packed.
Deveining itself is a time consuming work for me, which I think, if done regularly helps in gaining “patience”
Naming a dish ” Quick ” and then putting up quotes regarding “Patience” is funny 🙂 I know
This Dish is real quick if you have cleaned Prawns 🙂
Anyways I have lot of time when my NA goes to school twice a week , that’s when my pending works are finished but sometimes I enjoy sitting ” idle ” the whole day and by evening realize that I haven’t done anything and then I run do do my home – works.
Ingredients for this easy Prawns Biriyani.
Prawns – 3/4 kg before cleaning.
Basmathi Rice – 2 cups
Onion – 1 medium chopped or use Small onions – 20 no’s crushed
Green chili’s – 2 no’s
Garlic – 2 table spoon crushed
Ginger – 1 table spoon crushed
Tomato’s – 2 medium size chopped
Chili powder – 1 table spoon (or less)
Coriander Powder – 2 table spoon
Turmeric Powder – 1 and half tsp.
Garam Masala powder – 1 tsp ( or use store bought fish Masala powder if you have)
Mint leaves – a few leaves finely chopped (Optional)
Cilantro/Coriander leaves – 1/4 cup finely chopped
Juice of 1 lime
Salt to taste
Oil – 3 table spoon. (I used vegetable oil , may use ghee/clarified butter too )
*Soak cleaned rice for half an hour in water.
* Heat oil in a pressure cooker , add in the crushed ginger , garlic and the green chili’s , saute for a few minutes and then add in the chopped onion, saute till the onion looks golden brown.
*Add half of the tomato’s chopped and saute well , add in all the powder’s (turmeric powder, coriander powder, chili powder , masala/or fish masala powder) , cook stirring constantly for a few seconds till the oil separates.
*Add the soaked rice and stir for a few minutes (5 minutes in low heat) , then add in the prawns and the finely chopped leaves(mint if using and cilantro/coriander leaves) , add salt and lime juice.
* Pour Water , little less than double the amount of rice taken ( took 3 and 3/4rth cup of water for 2 glass of rice) and the rest of the chopped tomato’s . stir well and close the lid.
* Cook till one whistle is heard and remove from stove , to a cooler place , which helps to release the pressure soon. I used a “cold water release method” ( just to run cold water on to the pressure cooker to help open it soon)
* Open and mix everything well.Serve HOT with salad.
* Some people use curd, it will taste better for sure, I substituted it with lime juice as from childhood am advised not to mix milk or curd with fish especially Prawns…though I think curd is one of the key ingredient in any Biriyani.Also I avoid Raita as side dish here because of the same reason.
This biriyani is always served with sarlas (Kerala Onion salad – a mixture of onion and green chili’s with vinegar or lime juice added to it).
My patience for the whole day was used up cleaning the fish , couldn’t save a little to take pic’s while cooking 😦
Notes : I used regular meat masala powder that I use for meat dishes , may use whole spices too or else fish masala powder.
: Fry half of the prawns here after marinating with a little turmeric powder , chili powder and vinegar , arrange these fried prawn on top or mix with the Biriyani while serving , makes the dish extra flavorful.