My recent conversation with one of my friend about food in her Kitchen led me to make Momos today.Tried it for the first time , it’s a real hit , kids would love it for sure and also the kid’s mother’s too I loved it because its easy and tasty. Had the wrong idea that Momo’s and Ravioli are the same.
Ravioli are traditional type of an Italian filled pasta and Momo’s were originated in Nepal and now its become a traditional delicacy in Nepal.Thanks to Wikipedia 🙂
For the dough
All purpose flour – 3/4 cup
Salt – 1/4 tsp
Oil – 2 table spoon (vegetable or canola oil)
Water – 1/4 cup approx ( required to make a soft dough)
Make a soft dough with the above ingredients , coat the dough with a little oil and cover with a damp tissue or cloth.Keep aside for 1/2 an hour.
Ingredients for the Filling.
I had chicken in the fridge so made the filling with it , if it wasn’t there I would have done the filling with Paneer or simply celery + Carrot + Peas + Cabbage etc etc
Boneless Chicken – 1 cup chopped
Garlic – 4 cloves
Onion – 1 small
Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
salt to taste.
Cilantro/ coriander leaves – 1/4 cup finely chopped (Optional)
Coriander powder – 2 tsp
Meat Masala Powder- 1 tsp (Optional)
Oil – 1 table spoon.
* Heat oil in a pan , add garlic first followed by onion , chicken and cilantro , cook till the chicken are all cooked add in the coriander powder and the Masala powder (if using). Mix to combine all and keep aside.
Am in love with coriander leaves so I added more 🙂
* Make small balls with the dough and roll’em to 3 inch diameter circle’s make it thin as possible , place little chicken filling to the middle of this circle and join the ends to make’em look like bags or shape it as you like.
Cover’em with a damp tissue/cloth.
* Steam these in a steamer/ Idli Steamer for 10 to 12 minutes. Brushed these and the base plate with little oil to prevent sticking to the bottom.
Momos are now ready to eat with chilli sauce/ sesame sauce , but then there are few more things that you can do with these to make’em taste even better….
Ingredients for the sauce (Optional)
This is what I did , it tasted good , you can try with your family favorite sauce/ gravy.
Red chili sauce – 1 table spoon
Tomato sauce – 2 tsp
Soy sauce – 2 tsp
Onion – 1 small chopped
Green bell pepper/ Capsicum – 1/2 chopped
Cilantro – 3 table spoon chopped
Oil – 1 table spoon.
Salt a pinch.
* Heat oil in a pan and shallow fry the Momo’s in a monstick pan ,keep aside.
* Saute the onion and green bell pepper for 3 minutes and then add in the sauces (red chili sauce , tomato sauce and soy sauce) mix in salt and cilantro/coriander leaves and switch off the heat. Coat the sauce on the momos and serve.