We are very much carnivorous , if we don’t have meat/fish in our menu , its then turn for the soya chunks , its meaty in texture and its quick to cook also with the protein content equal to meat.
Mixed Lauki/bottle gourd with soya as it would provide nutrition from two main food , that’s a healthy choice I thought , the recipe goes good with rice , can try it with chapathi too, that’s not a bad idea though it will be little dry.
Soya chunk’s – 1/2 cup
Lauki/Bottle gourd – 1/2 of a small Sized bottle gourd.
Onion – 1 medium
Garlic – 3 cloves
Coconut – 3 table spoon
Turmeric Powder -1/4 tsp
Chili Powder – 2tsp
Coconut oil – 2 table spoon
Salt to taste
* Soak soya chunks in water for 10 minutes and boil the same with a pinch of salt till cooked , takes almost 10 to 15 mints in medium flame , keep a check on the water while boiling , if it goes dry pour more , once cooked , drain away the water and keep the chunks aside.
* Cook the chopped bottle gourd with little water , cook till the water almost dries off , keep aside.
* Heat 2 tablespoon oil , saute crushed garlic and finely chopped onion till it turns golden brown , add the cooked soya chunks and lauki to it , cook till the water dries off completely.
* Add turmeric powder and coconut and combine , cook for another 5 minutes in low heat.
* Make little space (a well ) in the middle and pour the balance coconut oil (1 table spoon ) to the well and add chili powder and curry leaves if using , stir till well combined and serve.
Super Nutritious Soya & Lauki
Did you know ? Lauki / Bottle gourd helps in reducing Blood pressure and in treating Heart disease.
It helps in liver function too.
If trying with chapathi , add 2 medium sized chopped tomato’s and a little of coriander leaves to this dish , after the onion is cooked to golden brown color.Do not cook the lauki till the water dries off completely , this would make a little gravy and avoid coconut. Try it as I haven’t tried it 🙂